Swimming at Riverside
Tone the body and relax the mind with swimming at Riverside Leisure Centre.
You can use:
- a state of the art 25m x 10 lane main pool with changeable depth. Our main pool is sometimes split into two sections, to allow us to run multiple sessions at the same time.
- a 10m learner pool, splash zone and flume
- accessibility pods, hoist and platform
- changing facilities including accessible changing and a Changing Places area
We have been making improvements to the process of booking multiple tickets for our popular swimming sessions. In order to make this possible, family tickets are no longer available but you are now able to book multiple tickets under one login or account.
At least one member of your party must have an ourChelmsford account before being able to make bookings online. The quickest and easiest way to book is using our free Chelmsford City Sports app, available to download from Google Play or the App store.
- Monday to Friday, from opening until 9am, and then from 5pm to close
- Saturday and Sunday, from opening to 12pm
Off peak times
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
- Saturday and Sunday, 12pm to close
- Standard: £6
- Discounted (under 21s): £5.40
- Under 5: free
- Standard: £5
- All discounted: £4.40
- Under 5: free
Save money by upgrading to a Premium membership.
You can book most swimming sessions in advance, except for lane swimming. You can also turn up on the day and book a ticket at reception, subject to availability.
How to book
To book swimming sessions, you can:
The person making the booking must have an ourChelmsford account.
You can book onto swimming:
- ten days in advance if you have a monthly membership
- seven days in advance if you have an ourChelmsford Plus card
- two days in advance if you have an ourChelmsford Lite card
At least one member of your party must have an ourChelmsford account before being able to make bookings online.
You can find more information about group bookings.
- If you can't attend a session that you have booked onto, you must cancel at least two hours before it starts.
- You can cancel online or via the app, or by phone.
- We will charge you the full amount for the session if you do not cancel in time, or if you do not attend. This includes monthly members.
- If you are a multi-site monthly member, you can tap straight through the barrier with your ourChelmsford card, sticker, fob or wristband.
- If you need to pay for swimming, you will need to go to reception. This will activate your ourChelmsford card and allow you through the barriers. We are a cashless centre.
- If you have forgotten your card you will need to collect a barcode from reception or a kiosk to get through the barriers.
To keep everyone safe, we operate adult to child ratios and maximum capacity at our swimming pools.
If your child is seven years or under, they can’t use the pool by themselves.
A person 16 years or over can accompany:
- one child that is under four years
- two children that are under four years if they are wearing buoyancy aids, such as armbands or a float suit
- two children that are between four and seven years.
Children who usually wear nappies, must wear a swim nappy in the pool. You can buy these from reception for £1.70 each.
The group changing areas have baby changing facilities available.
- There are individual cubicles, a male group changing area and a female group changing area.
- A Changing Places area and accessible changing facilities are available.
- If you want to use a locker, you will need a £1 coin to release the key. You will get the £1 back when you return the key.
Zip down our exciting flume in the pools complex at Riverside Leisure Centre.
Anyone 1.2m tall and over can use the flume during its opening hours.
Our flume has a strobe-lighting effect, so may not be suitable for those with light-sensitive epilepsy.
Check the timetable above for up-to-date times during school holidays.
- Monday: closed
- Tuesday: closed
- Wednesday: closed
- Thursday: 6.35pm to 7.55pm
- Friday: 4pm to 7pm
- Saturday: 12.15pm to 1.45pm, 2.15pm to 3.15pm
- Sunday: 10.30am to 11.30am, 11.45am to 12.45pm, 1.30pm to 2.30pm, 3pm to 4pm, 4pm to 5.10pm
The pools complex, including the changing area is a shoe-free zone, this includes the removal of flip flops. You will also need to leave buggies in the buggy park.
Showering before you swim
We encourage all swimmers to shower before entering the pools, to keep the water fresh and clean.
Non swimmers and those with flotation devices
Non-swimmers and swimmers who need flotation devices cannot use the 2m side of our main pool.
- You can by buys Zoggs swimwear, goggles, floats and more at reception.
- Fins, paddles, mermaid tails and snorkels are not allowed in the pool.
Chelmsford and District Sub-Aqua Club
The Chelmsford Area Branch of the British SubAqua Club, the largest diving club in the world and the governing body for the sport of scuba diving in the UK.
The club is very active with more than 70 members and run a diving and diver training programme.
You can find out more and contact Chelmsford & District Sub-Aqua Club.
Chelmsford City Swimming Club
This club offers facilities for learning and improving swimming technique, and competitive swimming for all ages. They also offer life-saving, water polo, swim-fit, accessible swimming and synchronised swimming.
Our Easter ice show is back!
Journey into wonderland with our amateur production of Alice in Wonderland on ice!
Not tomorrow. Today!
Take advantage of your free* trial this February.
Easter fun for everyone!
Discover our kids holiday camps and courses, plus our creche, soft play, family swim and family ice skating.
Term time sports schools
Term time lessons for kids in swimming, ice skating and athletics.
Get active around Chelmsford
From Heart and Sole walks to Forever Fit and Play in the Park, discover sport and activity all over Chelmsford.
Upgrade and save
Get a Plus account and save on a range of activities for just £15 per year.
Interested in a career in leisure? Apply for one of our diverse opportunities across all four centres.