Improve your fitness with athletics at Chelmsford Sport and Athletics Centre (CSAC). Our indoor and outdoor facilities are available for all your needs.
On your marks, set, go! Our indoor and outdoor athletics track and field facilities offer a fantastic space to train for a competition or just to practice technique.
Our indoor facilities include:
- a six-lane 60m sprint straight
- long jump and triple jump practice areas
- high jump and pole vault practice areas
Our outdoor stadium has:
- an eight-lane synthetic all weather track
- field event practice areas, including a throws cage
- Monday to Friday: 7am to 9am, 5pm to 10pm
- Saturday: 8am to 12pm
- Sunday: 9am to 12pm
Off peak times
- Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm
- Saturday: 12pm to 6pm
- Sunday: 12pm to 9pm
You must have an ourChelmsford account to book and attend the athletics track, even if you are not a monthly member and you don't live in Chelmsford.
We recommend that you book athletics in advance. You can get a ticket on the door, however we cannot guarantee availability. Coaches also need to book in for the session.
You can book in advance:
If you are booking the outdoor track, you can only train outside and cannot use the indoor facilities.
If you are booking the:
- long jump, you should use Lanes 1 and 2 only
- sprint lanes, you should use Lanes 3 and 4 only
- pole vault, you should use Lanes 5 and 6 only
There may be restricted use if the indoor track, so we ask that you co-operate with other athletes. If you have an indoor booking, you are also allowed to use the outdoor track.
- If you are a monthly member, you can book up to 10 days in advance
- If you are an ourChelmsford Plus cardholder, you can book seven days in advance
- If you are an ourChelmsford Lite cardholder, you can book two days in advance
- You will need to book a session in advance
- You will need to check in for your session at reception
- If you do not check-in, we will charge you the full amount for the session
- Make sure that you have registered your email address with us in order to book online
- If you can't attend a session that you have booked onto, you must cancel at least two hours before it starts.
- You can cancel online or via the app, or by phone.
- We will charge you the full amount for the session if you do not cancel in time, or if you do not attend. This includes monthly members.
- If you want to use a locker, you will need a £1 token from reception to release the key. You will get the £1 back when you return the token.
- There is a male group changing area and a female group changing area.
- Accessible changing is available.
Athletes will either need to train with:
- a coach qualified in the discipline you are training in
- someone that a qualified coach has identified as a competent person
These conditions will apply if:
- you are under 17
- you are training in an event that carries a risk of accident to yourself or others, such as pole vault and throwing events
If you are a coach, you will need to become a Lite card member, to join your athlete at their booked coaching session.
You will also need to bring your coaching licence with you the first time you coach at CSAC. We will ask you to complete a form so we can log you on to our system.
If you want to register someone as a competent person to supervise in the absence of a coach, you need to call the Centre.
We will refuse entry to any:
- athlete who does not meet these conditions
- coach or competent person who does not identify themselves appropriately
Chelmsford Sport and Athletics Centre (CSAC) plays hosts to the Chelmsford Athletics Club.
The club caters for every standard of athlete, from beginners to senior level and offers a full coaching programme.
Club members of all ages compete at a variety of different disciplines including track and field, road races and cross country.
Our coaching services include:
after school clubs
We can provide equipment and resources to deliver the activities, and will work alongside your existing scheme of work if we cover any lessons.
All of our coaches are qualified, with a DBS check and insurance.
Our Easter ice show is back!
Journey into wonderland with our amateur production of Alice in Wonderland on ice!
Not tomorrow. Today!
Take advantage of your free* trial this February.
Easter fun for everyone!
Discover our kids holiday camps and courses, plus our creche, soft play, family swim and family ice skating.
Term time sports schools
Term time lessons for kids in swimming, ice skating and athletics.
Get active around Chelmsford
From Heart and Sole walks to Forever Fit and Play in the Park, discover sport and activity all over Chelmsford.
Upgrade and save
Get a Plus account and save on a range of activities for just £15 per year.
Interested in a career in leisure? Apply for one of our diverse opportunities across all four centres.