Chelmsford City Council

Chelmsford, along with the rest of England, is now in lockdown until further notice. You can find out what this means and get other useful information on our coronavirus updates page.

Closing a road for a special event

Apply now

You will need insurance for a special event, and will probably need a licence. You will also need to arrange traffic diversion signs.

You will be responsible for the safety of the event, including the safe closure of the roads.

To apply for a temporary road closure, you will need to:

  • submit your application at least six weeks before you want to close the road
  • include a copy of the condition clauses form
  • confirm that you have contacted Essex Police, and have got their approval
  • confirm that you have contacted bus companies, if the road is on a bus route
  • include a copy of your public liability insurance for a minimum of £5,000,000

Once we receive your application, we will:

  • acknowledge your application within ten days of receiving it
  • visit the road and confirm that:
  • there is an alternative route around the road, so that the closure does not cause problems with traffic flow

  • the closure will not be an inconvenience to other road users or nearby residents

  • the closure will not cause a health and safety hazard

  • notify you of our decision within ten days of visiting the location. 

If we reject your temporary road closure, you will not be able to close the road.

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page
    Last updated: 30 June 2020

    Go to: