Chelmsford City Council

Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS)

A licensed premises which sells or supplies alcohol needs a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS).

There can only be one DPS per premises. The DPS takes responsibility for what happens at the premises, although does not need to be there at all times.

To become a DPS, you must first hold a valid personal licence. You then must be nominated by the premises license holder and complete a consent form. The consent form is part of the online application for a premises licence. 

  • Vary a DPSIf your DPS stops working at your premises or their personal licence is suspended, you need to specify a new DPS by varying your licence.
  • Request to be removed as a DPSIf you no longer want to be a DPS, you need to give formal notice to us and to the premises licence holder.
  • Apply for a DPS exemptionYou can apply for a DPS exemption, so that your premises will not need a DPS. Instead, a committee or management board would take on the responsibilities of a DPS.

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page?
    Last updated: 12 May 2021

    Go to: