Chelmsford City Council

Personal licence

A licensed premises which sells or supplies alcohol needs a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS).

There can only be one DPS per premises. The DPS takes responsibility for what happens at the premises, although does not need to be there at all times.

To be the DPS at a premises, you need to have a personal licence.

You will also need to have an accredited qualification to apply for a personal licence, as well as a basic disclosure certificate.

You need to apply for a personal licence from the licensing authority where you live, not where you work. If you live in the Chelmsford area you need to apply to us, even if you work elsewhere.

To apply for a personal licence, you will need to submit:

You will also need to pay the fee of £37.

You can return your application and supporting documents by post. 

Alternatively, you can return your completed application forms by email. You must include scanned copies of supporting documents. You can submit them to us.

Once we receive your application, we will:

  • acknowledge it within three working days

  • notify you of the outcome 

If we do not grant your licence, we will not refund your fee.

You do not need to renew this licence. It is valid until you surrender it or we revoke it. 

Change of name or address

If you have a personal licence and your name or address changes, you will need to submit an application to change your details.

To make an application you will need to:

 To complete the form, you will need: 

  • your name, address and contact details
  • the name of the business and its address
  • details of the change
  • to sign a declaration
  • to pay the £10.50 fee

Once we receive your notification, we will issue you with an updated personal licence.  

If you are having trouble downloading the application form, you can read our guidance.

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page?
    Last updated: 20 August 2021

    Go to: