Chelmsford City Council

Charitable collections

If you want to raise money on behalf of a charity in a public place, you will need a permit. We do not charge for charitable collection permits.

You will need to apply for the correct permit if you want to raise money on behalf of a charity by carrying out:

  1. street collections

  2. house to house collections

Street collections includes collecting donations or selling goods on the street. House to house collections includes going house to house to collect donations, or collections of unwanted property such as clothes and toys.

Some charities have permission to raise money from the Home Office, so do not need a permit from us. You can contact us for more information.

You can also read our Street Collection Policy.  


1. Street collections

Apply now

Before you apply for a street collection, you have to make sure you have permission from the land owner. 

If you are collecting on the High Street, you will need to contact our City Centre Management team to ask for permission. You may also need to contact High Chelmer shopping centre, The Meadows shopping centreor Bond Street.

To apply for a street collection permit, you will need to:

  • submit your application at least three months before your proposed collection date
  • include either the constitution of the charity you are collecting for, or a letter of consent from them authorising your collection
  • tell us where you want to carry out your collection

The street collection permit will be valid for a specific location, and we will only issue one permit per day for that location.

Once we receive your application, we will:

  • review your application within 14 days
  • notify you of our decision
  • inform you of how you should carry out the collection, and what you need to do afterwards
  • inform you of where you should publish a statement about your collection

If you carry out a street collection without a permit, you could receive a fine of up to £200.

In some circumstances, such as national disasters or global appeals, we can process collection applications more quickly. You can contact us for further information.


After your collection

Supply a street collection return

Within one month of your collection, you need to supply a street collection return, to inform us of:

  • how much you collected
  • any expenses you incurred
  • how the charity are using the proceeds

You also need to publish a statement within one month of the collection. The statement needs to include:

  • who was responsible for the collection or sale
  • the charity or fund the money was donated to
  • the date of the collection or sale
  • the amount you collected
  • your expenses
  • the amount you donated to the charity

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page
    Last updated: 05 September 2019

    Go to: