The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018  apply to:

  • animal boarding
  • selling animals as pets
  • hiring out horses
  • breeding dogs
  • keeping or training animals for exhibition

These regulations mean that all licence holders will need to follow an application process and comply with national regulations. As part of this, you will also receive a rating based on your standard, which you will need to display on your premises. The rating will be between one and five, with five being the best you can receive.

You can find guidance on the regulations from the Canine and Feline Sector Group.

The regulations don't apply to dangerous wild animal or zoo licences.

You don't need a licence to keep chickens or pigs. You can find out what animals you need a licence for on GOV.UK.

Report unlicensed animal premises

If you think a premises is operating without the relevant animal licence, you can report it to us.

Animal Welfare Policy

Whilst we encourage an increased awareness throughout the district of the need to care for the welfare of animals, we recognise that not all matters are within our influence.

Our Animal Welfare Policy therefore deliberately focuses on the areas where we have direct responsibility for animal welfare by stating where we can and will take action.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.