Chelmsford City Council

Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment

1. Find out if you can claim and how much you might get

You can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment to help you pay for housing costs.

You can only use your Discretionary Housing Payment to pay for:

  • your rent
  • removal costs, deposits and advance rent so that you can move to a new property

You can claim a Discretionary Housing Payment if you:

  • already get Housing Benefit or Universal Credit for housing and your claim isn’t suspended
  • get less Housing Benefit than the eligible rent you have to pay
  • can’t afford to pay a one-off housing cost (such for removals or a deposit)

We look into each claim a Discretionary Housing Payment individually, and we can’t always give you a Discretionary Housing Payment.

How much Discretionary Housing Payment you might get depends on:

  • the amount of income and savings you have
  • how much money you spend
  • what you spend your money on
  • the needs of you and your family
  • how much money other people living with you pay
  • how much help you have had from Discretionary Housing Payments in the past

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page
    Last updated: 21 February 2017

    Go to: