You can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) to help you pay for housing costs. We can't award DHP to help you pay your Council Tax.

You can apply if you get Housing Benefit, or the housing cost element of Universal Credit, and: 

  • your rent costs are more than the Housing Benefit you get
  • your amount of the housing cost element of Universal Credit is not enough to pay your rent
  • you can’t afford to pay a one-off housing cost (such for removals or a deposit)

We can award Discretionary Housing Payment for a past period if you meet the criteria for that time.

Using your Discretionary Housing Payment

You can only use your Discretionary Housing Payment to pay for:

  • your rent (but not personal charges for utilities or support)
  • removal costs and deposits
  • rent in advance, if:
    • your landlord is not a registered provider of social housing, and
    • you can't secure a guarantor for your tenancy which would result in you not being able to take on an affordable tenancy

How much you might get

How much Discretionary Housing Payment you might get depends on:

  • the amount of income and savings you have
  • how much money you spend
  • what you spend your money on
  • the needs of you and your family
  • how much money other people living with you pay
  • how much help you have had from Discretionary Housing Payments in the past

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.