Chelmsford City Council

Housing Benefit

Since December 2018, many people are not able to make a new claim to us for Housing Benefit. Instead, if you need help with your rent, you will need to apply for Universal Credit. You can read more about the changes.

1. Find out if you can claim and how much you might get

Benefits calculator

You can apply for Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if either you or your partner:

  • are on a low income
  • have savings of less than £16,000

However, this changed in December 2018, due the introduction of Universal Credit. You can find out more about the changes.

You can look at GOV.UK for more information about who can claim Housing Benefit.

How much Housing Benefit you might get depends on:

You can use our benefits calculator to find out if you can claim and how much Housing Benefit you could get.

You may also be able to claim Council Tax Reduction if you’re claiming Housing Benefit.

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page

    Go to:

    You are here »Home»Benefits»Housing Benefit