Chelmsford City Council

Other people living with you

What is a non-dependant

If someone aged 16 or over lives with you, and you or your partner don't get   Child Benefit for them, they are a non-dependant. 

This is usually grown-up children, friends or elderly relatives.

If you have a non-dependant living with you, it may affect the amount of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction you can get.


Non-dependant deductions

We reduce the amount of your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction based on the non-dependant's weekly income.

You can look at non-dependant deductions for:


When deductions are not taken

We won't deduct from your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction if you or your partner:

  • are certified blind    
  • get the care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • get Attendance Allowance
  • get the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • are aged 16 or 17 years old

We won't deduct from your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction if the non-dependant:

  • is under 25 and gets Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support, Universal Credit and is not working, or is in the assessment phase of Employment and Support Allowance
  • has been in hospital for more than a year
  • is a full-time student and
    • studying
    • on summer holiday and not working 16 hours or more
  • gets guaranteed pension credit
  • is a prisoner who is either detailed on remand or serving a sentence of conviction
  • is a member of the armed forces away on operations

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page
    Last updated: 30 March 2021

    Go to: