Evidence needed for your housing benefit claim and/or council tax support application

You must provide evidence about your claim and/or any changes in your circumstances. You must provide your evidence/information within one month of:


  • You making your claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax support, or
  • When you tell us about a change in your circumstances, or
  • When we ask you to provide evidence and/or further information


If the evidence is not received in time, you may not get any benefit or your payments may stop. Make sure you provide all the evidence as soon as possible to avoid payment delays. If you have trouble providing any information, then contact us to tell us.


We must see original documents, not copies. If you are emailing / taking photographs of the original document/s, make sure you scan all pages of the original document and that all of the information can be seen in full. We need the same evidence for both you and your partner (if you have one).  We will in most cases accept documents submitted in this way but in some cases may ask to see the original/s. 


See the benefits contact us page for details about where to send and/or how to submit your evidence. One document is often enough to verify two bits of your information - for example a bank statement showing child benefit paid, identity and national insurance number.


Proof of identity

Proof of National Insurance

Capital, savings and investments

Proof of earnings

Proof of Self-Employed income

Proof of other benefits

Proof of Child Maintenance

Proof of other income

Proof of rent and tenancy

Proof of child care costs that you pay

Proof of the people who live with you


Proof of identity

The following documents are acceptable as proof of identity:


  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Passport
  • National Insurance number card
  • Medical card
  • Driving license
  • UK residence permit
  • EEC identity card
  • Recent gas or electricity bill


We may need to see several documents for each person. You will only have to provide evidence of you and/or your partners identity when you claim benefit for the first time.



Proof of National Insurance for you/your partner

  • National Insurance number card
  • Payslips
  • Official letters from the Department of Work and Pensions.


You will only have to provide evidence of you and/or your partner's National Insurance number when you claim benefit for the first time.



Capital, savings and investments

You must provide evidence of all your and your partners’ capital/savings. We must see bank statement for each account you/your partner have, even if the account has no money in it. You must provide a statement for every bank/building society you/your partners account which shows the full transactions for the two months before you claim benefit.


You must provide evidence of any other capital/investments that you and your partner have, such as:


  • bonds
  • stocks/shares
  • national savings certificates
  • ISAs
  • unit trusts
  • premium bonds 
  • dividends
  • other property or land interest


If you/your partner gets Income Support, Income Related Employment & Support Allowance or Income Based Jobseekers Allowance, you do not need to provide evidence of income. If you are waiting to hear about a claim for any of these three benefits, you must provide evidence of income and tell us how you are meeting your daily living expenses.


Proof of earnings

This is for all jobs held by you, your partner and any non-dependants.


  • If you are paid every week, we will need to see your last five payslips
  • If you are paid every two weeks, we will need to see your last three payslips
  • If you are paid every month, we will need to see your last two payslips

If you have just started work, we will accept your contract of employment until your wage slips are available.


If you or your partner are self employed, we need to see the accounts for the last financial year or if you have been trading for less than six months, a summary of your trading records so far. If you do not have accounts, you will have to complete a self employed form.



Proof of Self-Employed income


  • Accounts prepared accounts for the last financial year (or other period if requested); showing the total income and a full breakdown of all expenses incurred, or
  • If the business is new, or accounts are not available, a fully completed self-employed form for each business 
  • If the business is new you must complete a self-employed form with a projection of earnings for the next three months
  • Invoices/receipts as requested

 The Self- Employed form can be printed to complete from this page


Proof of other benefits

This includes any benefits, state retirement pension or tax credits that you, your partner or non-dependant get.


In most cases, we can usually get information about your other benefits you get from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). If you or your partner have applied for a benefit from DWP (such as Jobseekers Allowance / Employment & Support Allowance etc) but it has not yet been awarded, then please provide a written statement telling us how you are meeting your daily living expenses.



Proof of Child Maintenance

We must see proof all child maintenance you/your partner are paid such as, letters from the Child Support Agency, bank statements, signed statement from the non resident parent.


The evidence provided must show the following information:


  • Amount that is paid
  • How often it is paid and
  • Which child it is paid in respect of


Proof of other income

This includes all other income not covered above that you/your partner get - for example, private pensions, annuities, income from rent, voluntary payments etc. You must provide a payment slip or official letter, which shows how often the income is paid less any tax deductions.


If you receive spousal maintenance, we will need to see a letter from the court or the payee to show how much you are getting and how often it is paid. We need to know about all income you and your partner get and any available evidence of this income must be provided.


We should be able to see evidence of other income payments on the bank statements provided by you/your partner. 


Proof of rent and tenancy

  • Tenancy agreement
  • Landlord letter
  • Tenancy details form completed by your landlord


This evidence must show the following:


  • the name of the landlord and tenants
  • when the tenancy started
  • the amount of rent you pay
  • how often it is due.


If there are service charges included in your rent (for example, water) then we will need a full breakdown of these charges.  The evidence must be signed by the tenant and the landlord. In many cases, we would expect to see evidence from your bank accounts for example that you have been paying your rent.


Proof of child care costs that you pay

If your child or children are looked after by a registered childcare provider, you must provide:


  • proof of how much money you pay, and
  • the period these payments are for, and
  • which child the payments are in respect of, and
  • the childcare provider's registration number 



Proof of the people who live with you

You must tell us about and the relationship and identities of all those that live in you/your partner’s home. These people could be:


  • Dependants - you must provide evidence of child benefit for any children / young persons that live with you. We will also need to see their birth certificates. 
  • Non-dependants (eg a grown-up child, friend, other relative) - we will ask you to provide evidence of their income. You do not have to do this but it may result in you losing benefit
  • Foster children - we will need to see evidence from the organisation for whom you foster for, and any income you get because of this.
  • Lodger - you must provide evidence of the money that they pay you
  • Joint tenant - who is not part of your family
  • Any other people who live in your home


Related pages



Email, Print, send to Twitter, send to Facebook, and more

Please rate this page

Total votes: 649