Chelmsford City Council

Driver licence

You will need a driver licence if you drive a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle. Our driver licences are dual, allowing you to drive both hackney carriages and private hire vehicles.

You can apply for a driver licence if you:

  • are 21 years or over

  • have held a full driving licence for at least two years, and a full DVLA licence for at least one of those years

  • have no more than six current penalty points on your licence

To apply for this licence, you need to contact us.

If you have any convictions, you can download our guidance on convictions to check the likelihood of you getting a licence before you apply for it.

We will provide an application form, which you need to complete and return to us with the fee of £219 and the supporting documents.

For a driver licence, the supporting documents you need are:

  • proof that you are entitled to remain and seek work in the UK

  • a completed Disclosure and Barring Service application

  • a completed referee form

  • a medical disclosure form

  • four passport size colour photos

  • your complete DVLA driving licence

  • your passport, or at least two other forms of identification such as your birth certificate or utility bills

  • a Certificate of Good Conduct, if you have lived anywhere other than the UK for six or more consecutive months in the last five years

As part of the application, you will need to pass a knowledge test about:

  • the streets in the Chelmsford area

  • places of interest in the Chelmsford area

  • the highway code

  • the policies and law relating to the licensing regime

You can read our knowledge test guidance.

You will also need to undertake a disability awareness training, which you need to arrange and pay for yourself. We will provide details of our approved trainers when you contact us to apply.


Renew your licence

Your driver licence will be valid for three years from the date we granted it.

You need to renew your licence every three years, before the current licence expires.

The renewal fee is £212.

Once we receive your renewal application, we notify you of our decision.

You also need to provide a new medical disclosure form when you renew your licence. Once you are 65 years, you will need to provide a new medical disclosure form every year.



If you drive a hackney carriage we regulate the fare you can charge your customers, and you can check the amount.

If you drive a private hire vehicle, we do not regulate the fare you can charge your customers. The fare should be agreed between the operator and the customer when the customer makes the booking.

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page

    Go to: