Swimming holiday courses
These intensive holiday swimming courses will help toddlers and those in stages one to four improve their swimming skills.
Short courses run during school holidays at Riverside Leisure Centre. Our swim instructors will help children perfect their swimming skills as toddlers or in stages one, two, three or four.
In small groups, children are gently guided through the key skills they need to swim safely and feel comfortable and confident in the water, under the watchful guidance of our swim instructor. Lessons are based on the ASA Learn to swim framework.
Toddlers (ages 3 to 4)
Held in our warmer, shallower Learner pool, this short course offers the perfect introduction to swimming for toddlers. children are gently guided through basic swimming techniques using games and songs, while wearing armbands. Each toddler session has two swim teachers who supervise your little ones from in the pool as well as on poolside, and sessions are held outside of public swimming times.
Stages 1 to 2 (ages 4 to 8)
These courses are held in our Learner or Main pool depending on the stage, and outside of public swimming sessions.
- Tuesday 30 May to Friday 2 June 2023
You will be allocated one half hour time slot per day from the following. Sessions run daily across all four days.
- Toddlers (age 3 to 4): 9am to 9.30am
- Stage 1 (age 4 to 8): 8.30am to 9am or 10am to 10.30am
- Stage 2 (age 4 to 8): 9.30am to 10am
- £24 for the whole four day course (full price)
- You can also pay using childcare vouchers.
- We offer a 15% sibling discount when you book two siblings onto our course at the same time. You can request this discount when you call the centres to book the course.
- Call Riverside Leisure Centre on 01245 615062.
- You will need an ourChelmsford card to book.
- Discounts can only booked in person at our centres or by phone Monday to Friday, between 9am and 5pm and cannot be booked online. Please see our pre-course information page for full details.
- Children must arrive swim ready and will be assessed on the first day. They may be moved to a different time slot to suit their swimming ability.
- We will provide discs as buoyancy aids during our lessons. If your child wants to use arm bands, they can bring their own if they have them.
- If you have not booked and paid for a session online, you will not be able to attend.
- Please arrive 5 minutes before your child's course is due to start.
Prerequisites for the courses are as follows:
- Toddlers: Pre-school beginners, all equipment supplied. A teacher will be on poolside and in the water.
- Stage 1 to 2: Beginners with buoyancy aids, all equipment supplied. A teacher will be on poolside and in the water.
- Stage 2 to 3: Children must be able to swim at least 5 metres without aids on front and back. Lesson includes a class assistant. All equipment supplied. A teacher will be on poolside and in the water.
- Stage 3 to 4: Children must be able to swim both 10 metres back crawl and front paddle.
- Stage 4: Children must already be taking our stage 4 weekly lessons to join this course.