Swimming holiday courses
These intensive holiday swimming courses will help toddlers and those in stages one to four improve their swimming skills.
Short courses run during school holidays at Riverside Leisure Centre and South Woodham Ferrers Leisure Centre (SWFLC). Our swim instructors will help children perfect their swimming skills as toddlers or in stages one, two, three or four.
In small groups, children are gently guided through the key skills they need to swim safely and feel comfortable and confident in the water, under the watchful guidance of our swim instructor. Lessons are based on the ASA Learn to swim framework.
Toddlers (ages 3 to 4): Riverside only
Held in our warmer, shallower Learner pool, this short course offers the perfect introduction to swimming for toddlers. children are gently guided through basic swimming techniques using games and songs, while wearing armbands. Each toddler session has two swim teachers who supervise your little ones from in the pool as well as on poolside, and sessions are held outside of public swimming times.
Stages 1 to 4 (age 4+): Riverside and SWFLC
These courses are held in our Learner or Main pool depending on the stage, and outside of public swimming sessions. Those on the Stage 4 three-day course must already be taking our stage 4 lessons.
- Monday 13 to Friday 17 February 2023
You will be allocated one half hour time slot per day from the following. Sessions run daily across all five days.
- Toddlers (age 3 to 4): 9am to 9.30am
- Stage 1 (age 4+): 8.30am to 9am or 10am to 10.30am
- Stage 2 (age 4+): 9.30am to 10am
- Stage 1/2 (age 4+): 9am to 9.30am or 10am to 10.30am
- Stage 3/4 (age 4+): 9.30am to 10am or 10.30am to 11am
- To book Riverside, please email our swimming coordinator.
- To book SWFLC please call the centre on 01245 605600.
- You will need an ourChelmsford card to book.
- Discounts can only booked in person at our centres or by phone Monday to Friday, between 9am and 5pm and cannot be booked online.
- Please see our pre-course information page for full details on discounts and booking.
- Children must arrive swim ready and will be assessed on the first day. They may be moved to a different time slot to suit their swimming ability.
- We will provide discs as buoyancy aids during our lessons. If your child wants to use arm bands, they can bring their own if they have them.
- If you have not booked and paid for a session online, you will not be able to attend.
- Please arrive 5 minutes before your child's course is due to start.
Prerequisites for the courses are as follows:
- Toddlers: Pre-school beginners, all equipment supplied. A teacher will be on poolside and in the water.
- Stage 1 to 2: Beginners with buoyancy aids, all equipment supplied. A teacher will be on poolside and in the water.
- Stage 2 to 3: Children must be able to swim at least 5 metres without aids on front and back. Lesson includes a class assistant. All equipment supplied. A teacher will be on poolside and in the water.
- Stage 3 to 4: Children must be able to swim both 10 metres back crawl and front paddle.
- Stage 4: Children must already be taking our stage 4 weekly lessons to join this course.