Chelmsford City Council

Chelmsford, along with the rest of England, is now in lockdown until further notice. You can find out what this means and get other useful information on our coronavirus updates page.

Housing standards

If you rent your property, your landlord has a responsibility to keep it well maintained and safe.

You can look at GOV.UK for  information about renting privately, including what you are responsible for and what your landlord is responsible for.

You can also look at Shelter for advice about housing.

If your landlord does not complete repairs they are responsible for, or if you think your property is unsafe, you can report it to us.

You can also report hazards to us if you live in a house in multiple occupation. You can check if your landlord has registered your house with us.

If you own your home and are unhappy with its condition, you can contact us for advice, or apply for a loan


Report a repair or unsafe property

Report now

Before you report a repair or unsafe property to us, you need to contact your landlord.

You can look at Shelter for letter templates to send to your landlord.

If your landlord does not carry out the repair or make your property safe after you have contacted them, you can report it to us.

To report a repair or unsafe property, you will need:

  • your name, address and contact details    

  • your landlord's name, address and contact details

You also need to tell us:

  • what the problem is

  • if anyone else lives with you, and whether they are related to you or part of your family

  • your age and the ages of the other people living with you

  • whether you or other people living with you have a serious illness or disability

Once we receive your report, we will:

  • assess your report and decide what action to take
    We will inspect your property to assess the hazard, and give it a category using the housing health and safety rating system (HHSRS). The category we give the hazard depends on how likely it is to cause harm and how serious the outcome would be.
    Once we have given the hazard a category, we will decide what action to take. A category 1 hazard poses the most risk, so we will take enforcement action to reduce it. 
    A category 2 hazard poses a lower risk than category 1, and we will usually make recommendations of how to reduce the risk.
  • acknowledge your report
    We will acknowledge your report within three working days, and tell you what action we will be taking.
  • contact your landlord
    We will contact your landlord within three working days of receiving your report. We will tell them your concerns, and ask them to confirm in writing their proposals and timescales for remedial action.
  • inspect your property
    Depending on your landlord's response, we will inspect your property.
    If your landlord agrees to take remedial action, we will inspect your property once the action is complete.
    If your landlord does not take remedial action, we will inspect your property and decide what action to take.
  • take enforcement action
    If your landlord does not take remedial action, we will decide if we need to take enforcement action. Enforcement action could involve us:
      • serving a hazard awareness notice
      • serving a prohibition order
      • making a prohibition order
      • taking emergency remedial action

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page
    Last updated: 03 December 2019

    Go to: