Report an HMO now

If you think people are living in a House of Multiple Occupation (HMO) that doesn’t have a licence, you can report it to us.

You can look at GOV.UK to check what makes a property an HMO.

You can also check our register of HMOs that do have a licence, before you make your report.

To report a suspected HMO, you will need:

  • the address or location of the HMO
  • the property type
  • to tell us how many people you think are living there
  • to tell us what you are concerned about, such as disrepair or overcrowding
  • any contact details you have, such as for the landlord of the property
  • your name, address and contact details

Once we receive your report, we will:

  • acknowledge it within three working days
  • investigate the property
  • contact you to update you on the progress of our investigation

You can report issues with the website using this form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.


Data protection declaration: We are a Data Controller for the purposes of data protection legislation. We hold and process all personal information in accordance with data protection legislation. For more information, you can read our privacy policy and privacy notices.

Last updated: 21 September 2022