Rough sleepers

If you are concerned about someone who you think is rough sleeping, you can send an alert to StreetLink.

Advice if your live-in landlord asks you to leave

You are probably a lodger or excluded occupier if you:

  • rent a room and live in the same property as your landlord
  • share living accommodation (such as a kitchen or bathroom) with your landlord

You can look at Shelter for more information about excluded occupiers.

As an excluded occupier, you have fewer rights than as a tenant renting their property. This also includes the process your landlord needs to follow to evict you.

If your landlord wants you to leave the property, they need to give you reasonable notice. If you have a written agreement, the length of time for the reasonable notice may be included. The usual time for reasonable notice is 28 days, but it could be shorter.

Once the notice period has ended, you need to leave the property. 

If you stay after the notice period without your landlord's permission, you will be trespassing.

You need to ask your landlord why they want you to leave. There might be a simple issue that you can resolve together, and they may reconsider.

If your landlord definitely wants you leave, you need to start looking for somewhere else to live.

Finding somewhere to stay

If you want to find somewhere to stay, you can look at our advice about improving your housing situation. You can find out about renting privately, asking family or friends and getting more help.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.