Rough sleepers

If you are concerned about someone who you think is rough sleeping, you can send an alert to StreetLink.

Mind for South East and Central Essex

Mind for South East and Central Essex can offer you assistance and signposting if you need help with your mental health.

They may be able to connect you with support services that can help with your housing problems.

You can also find information about mental health and wellbeing on the Essex County Council website.

Information and support

The national Mind charity provide information and support. You can find information about mental health and coping with housing problems, or contact Mind to discuss your situation in confidence.

The charity Rethink Mental Illness also offer information about housing options and living with mental illness.

Finding somewhere to stay

If you want to find somewhere to stay, you can look at our advice about improving your housing situation. You can find out about renting privately, asking family or friends and getting more help.

If you have to leave your home because of domestic abuse or violence, you can find support through refuge services.

You may also be able to find accommodation through these refuge services. There are refuges in different areas if you would be unsafe staying near to your current home.

Safer Places

Safer Places is an Essex based organisation who offer support services as well as accommodation for women and children.

They also offer support to men and members of the LGBT community.

You can call them on 03301 025811 to discuss your situation.

Next Chapter

Next Chapter provides free and confidential services to support people who are currently experiencing, or have previously experienced domestic abuse.

You can call them on 0330 3337 444 or 01206 500585.

If you can't find a refuge place or don't think a refuge is an option for you, you could stay with family or friends.

This could give you a safe place to stay temporarily, and give you the opportunity to consider your options.

If you think there would be a risk if you stayed with family or friends, you need to speak to an organisation for advice.

If you have to leave your home because of domestic abuse or violence, the priority is your safety.

Once you have found somewhere safe to stay temporarily, you need to consider your options.

The support services at a refuge will be able to give you specific advice for your situation, and help you choose the most appropriate option. This may be trying to secure rights on your former home, or finding a new property.

You can find general advice about what to do about your property if your relationship breaks down by looking  at Citizens Advice or GOV.UK.

You can find out about improving your housing situation, including renting privately, asking family or friends and getting more help. 

National Domestic Violence Helpline

For help and support, you can call the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247. They are available 24 hours a day, and offer support to women experiencing domestic abuse. Calls are confidential, and they also offer a translation service and a service for people with hearing difficulties.

Men's Advice Line

The Men's Advice Line offer help and advice to men experiencing domestic abuse. You can call them on 0808 801 0327.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.