Chelmsford City Council

We are part of the Essex Community Shield, which brings volunteers together with the people most in need of help due to coronavirus. You can find out how to get help, or how to volunteer. You can also view our latest coronavirus updates.


Putting your bins out

Our waste and recycling collections are currently running as normal, with no disruptions

The household recycling centres are run by Essex County Council. You can check the Love Essex website for announcements.

If you live in a house

You need to put your bins, boxes and sacks on your property boundary by 7am on the morning of your collection day.

You can check your bin day online.

We will not collect your recycling and rubbish if you have:

  • used the wrong bin, box or sack for your items

  • overfilled your bin, and the lid does not fully close

  • put out black sacks to the side of your bin (side waste)

The only items we will collect outside of a bin, box or sack are:

  • clothes and paired shoes, if you put them out with your green recycling box in a tied carrier bag

  • small waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE), if you put it in or beside your green recycling box 

  • extra plastics, paper and card, if you put them out in separate clear bags on your normal collection day

If you have a large item that will not fit in your bin, you can request a large item collection.

If you find it difficult to put your bins, bags and boxes out, you can request an assisted collection.


If you live in a flat

Many flats in Chelmsford have communal recycling bins, which we collect.

You can check your bin day online.

If you do not have access to communal recycling bins, you can:

  • take your recycling to your local   Recycling Centre for Household Waste        
  • speak to your Property Management Agent to discuss recycling arrangements. They can contact us for more information

Collection policy

You can view or download our recycling and waste collection policy for more details.

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page
    Last updated: 28 April 2020

    Go to: