Senior Railcards and Bus Passes

National Bus Pass

 Chelmsford City Council no longer issue bus passes - please see the 'How to apply for a bus pass' section at the bottom of this page.


Senior Railcards

Since January 2014, Chelmsford City Council no longer issue Senior Railcards.

We are now part of a nationwide scheme managed by the Association of Train Companies (ATOC). This allows qualifying Chelmsford residents a concessionary price of £24 on annual National Rail Senior Railcards. This is cheaper than the cost of the Senior Railcard if purchased from a train station. The Senior Railcard is available from your 60th birthday.



To buy a Senior Railcard via ATOC, you must be 60 of over. The first time you buy a Senior Railcard from ATOC (even if you have bought one through us previously) you will be asked to verify your date of birth. Full details of how to do this are contained in the leaflet in the Downloads section of this page (right).


How do I obtain a Railcard?

To obtain a Senior Railcard at the concessionary rate you first need to obtain a unique code from us.


  • Online – use our online Code Request form to obtain your unique code. Your code will be emailed back to you by return.
  • In person - You can request a code in person at the Council’s Customer Service Centre, Duke Street, Chelmsford, at the South Woodham Ferrers Community Information Centre, or the Mobile Customer Information Service


You can then apply to ATOC either via their web site at or by phone on 08448 714036 (calls are charged at 5p per minute).


ATOC will send you your Senior Railcard either by first class post or by Special Delivery (this is a chargeable option).


Please note that you cannot use your code to buy a Senior Railcard directly from the train station.


Full details of how to buy your Senior Railcard from ATOC are in the leaflet in the Downloads section of this page.

Frequently asked questions about Senior Railcards

I am 60 next month – can I apply for a Senior Railcard?

If you order online then yes, you can order one up to 14 days in advance of your 60th birthday.


Remember to obtain your code from the Council, this is also available 14 days before you 60th birthday.
I have a code but it won’t work


If you have a code but the ATOC system will not accept it, please make sure that it has not been used in a previous application. If you need a replacement code, simply reapply using the online Code Request form or in person as outlined above.

Do I need a different code for online and phone applications?

Your code can be used for either phone or online applications but it can ONLY BE USED ONCE.

Can I use my code to apply for Senior Railcard for someone else?

You will need a different code for each Senior Railcard you want to buy. So if you use it for someone else, you will need to get another code to support your application.

Can a joint card be purchased for husband and wife?

No, each person must apply for their own card separately.

I don’t have access to the internet

You can still apply for a Senior Railcard from ATOC. Once you have your code from the Council, simply phone ATOC on 08448 714036 (calls are charged at 5p per minute).

I don’t have a credit or debit card

You will need a debit or credit card to buy a Senior Railcard online. If you do not have one, you can complete your application over the phone on 08448 714036 (calls are charged at 5p per minute) and ATOC will make the necessary payment arrangements.

My Senior Railcard has been lost/stolen

Once you have bought your Senior Railcard from ATOC, they will deal with all enquiries and issues. This includes any replacement Senior Railcards. Full details of the Terms and Conditions of the scheme can be found at


How to apply for a bus pass


Since October 2012, Essex has had a centralised system for bus pass applications. If residents are applying for an older persons or disabled persons bus pass for the first time or need to replace their lost or damaged pass, they must apply to Essex County Council instead of their local District, Borough or City Council.


Residents can apply online, by phone or in person. To find out how, please visit Essex County Council - Bus passes


If residents already have a bus pass and it is due for renewal, provided they are at the same address they will be sent a new pass automatically.


If residents have lost their bus pass they can arrange a replacement by calling 0345 200 0388.

If residents have changed address, they need to let Essex County Council know by emailing or calling 0345 200 0388.