Chelmsford City Council

Closing the road for a street party

Apply now

You don't need insurance for street parties, and you will not need a licence if music is incidental and you are not selling anything. If you do want to sell anything, have a bar or provide entertainment, you will need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice.

You should only hold a street party during daylight hours.

You can also find general advice from The Street Party Site

To apply for a temporary road closure, you will need to:

  • submit your application at least six weeks before you want to close the road
  • submit the application form, condition clauses and an agreement form showing your neighbours are happy for you to close the road

Once we receive your application, we will:

  • acknowledge your application within ten days of receiving it
  • visit the road and confirm that:
  • there is an alternative route around the road, so that the closure does not cause problems with traffic flow

  • the closure will not be an inconvenience to other road users or nearby residents

  • the closure will not cause a health and safety hazard

  • notify you of our decision within ten days of visiting the location. 

If you want to object to a temporary road closure, you should contact us. We will consider your objection when we make our decision.

If we reject your temporary road closure, you will not be able to close the road.


    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page?
    Last updated: 08 April 2022

    Go to: