Hylands car parks
You now need to pay to park at Hylands Estate in Chelmsford.
The three car parks are:
- London Road car park
- The Stables Visitor Centre car park
- Writtle car park
You can't park e-scooters at Hylands car parks.
How to pay
You can pay at one of the Pay and Display machines at these car parks or purchase a season ticket.
These machines are card-only and also accept contactless payments; they do not accept cash. You can also pay by phone, online, via the app or by text message.
You can't pay for discounted parking at the Pay and Display machines.
If you are a Blue Badge holder, you can park for free all day when displaying a valid Blue Badge.
You can also buy annual season tickets if you visit the Hylands Estate regularly.
If you are a Chelmsford resident, you can receive a discount on the daily fees and season tickets after you have registered an account on MiPermit. Otherwise, normal daily fees apply.
You can read our guidance about how to register for your Hylands Parking Saver.
When to pay
The charges apply from 9am to 6pm everyday, including at weekends and Bank Holidays.
You can park:
- for up to one hour for £2 (residents) or £3.35 (non-residents)
- all day for £3 (residents) or £5 (non-residents)
If you park at Hylands regularly, you can register for a season ticket and save.
You need to register on MiPermit before you can buy a cashless parking stay and access the discounted parking rates.
To register on MiPermit, you will need your:
- Council Tax account number
- house number
You only need to register an account the first time you buy a cashless parking stay.
If other people in the household want to buy a cashless parking stay, they can either:
- be added by the main account holder as additional members
- register for their own account
Registering an account will verify that you are a Chelmsford resident and have access to the discounts.
If you already have a MiPermit account, you do not need to register a new account. You just need to log in to MiPermit using your existing details. You can then read our guidance about how to register for your Hylands Parking Saver.
Getting a Council Tax account number
If you are unable to find your account number, you can:
- view instructions on how to find your Council Tax account number
- request your Council Tax account number
If you have recently moved and don't yet have your Council Tax account number, we can set up your MiPermit account for you. You will need to contact Parking and provide proof of residency, such as your tenancy agreement or a utility bill from the last three months.
- Up to one hour: £2
- All day: £3
Monday to Friday
- 1st vehicle: £4.50 per month or £54 per year
- 2nd vehicle: £1.35 per month or £16.20 per year
- Additional vehicle: £6.75 per month or £81 per year (this is the same as for non-residents)
Monday to Sunday
- 1st vehicle: £6 per month or £72 per year
- 2nd vehicle: £1.80 per month or £21.60 per year
- Additional vehicle: £8.25 per month or £99 per year (this is the same as for non-residents)
You will need to contact us for a season ticket for your 2nd vehicle or any additional vehicles.
You can buy a cashless parking stay on MiPermit, either with or without creating an account.
Alternatively, you can phone 0345 520 7007 or text 61600 to create a MiPermit stay using the following location numbers:
- London Road car park: 744024
- The Stables Visitor Centre car park: 744025
- Writtle car park: 744026
There is also a 10p charge for a text message reminder, which you can switch off in the app.
You can park:
- for up to one hour for £3.35
- all day for £5
Season ticket prices
- Monday to Friday (per vehicle): £6.75 per month or £81 per year
- Monday to Sunday (per vehicle): £8.25 per month or £99 per year
You can pay for a season ticket via Direct Debit monthly or yearly, or you can pay upfront via MiPermit for the year.
To apply for a Direct Debit season ticket, you will need:
- your name, address and contact details
- your vehicle registration number
- the date you want your season ticket to start from
Once we receive your application, we will:
- activate your parking account
- set up a Direct Debit
You need to contact us if your details change, such as a change of address or vehicle.
If you receive Council Tax support in Chelmsford, you may be entitled to free parking (this only applies to daily fees, not season tickets). You need to contact us by completing an application form to ask about this concession.
You won't need to pay to park any of the following vehicles at Hylands: