Discount for disabled people
You can apply for the Disabled Band Reduction Scheme if:
- you have made changes to your home that are essential to the disabled person living there
- your property qualifies
You are eligible if your property has:
- extra space inside for using a wheelchair
- an extra bathroom or kitchen used mainly by the disabled person
- a room other than a bathroom, toilet or kitchen used mainly by the disabled person
If you have an extra room used for meeting the disabled person's needs, then you may get a reduction. The extra room must mainly be used by the person with the disability.
For example, you could use the room for:
- a blind person to store and use specialist equipment
- a child or adult who needs a room for therapy, (for example, a room with light sensors or specialist play learning equipment)
- storing dialysis equipment
You won't qualify for the reduction if you have made some changes to your property. For example:
- stair lifts or through floor lifts
- a room used for specialist equipment but the room is also used for its normal purpose, (for example, as a bedroom or living room)
You can find more information about the Disabled Band Reduction Scheme on GOV.UK.
What you will need to apply
To apply for the Disabled Band Reduction Scheme, you will need:
- your Council Tax account number
- your name, address and contact details
What happens next
Once we receive your completed form, we will contact you to either:
- ask for more information if necessary
- arrange a convenient appointment to visit you or,
- tell you if you do not qualify
If you are eligible, we will reduce your Council Tax bill to a lower valuation banding.
For example, if your home is in band D, we will reduce your bill to the cost of a band C property.
This will not affect the value of your home or its banding in the valuation list.
Severe mental impairment
If you have a severe mental impairment (SMI) and live alone, you can apply for a Council Tax exemption.
If you live alone with someone that has a SMI, you can apply for a 25% discount on your Council Tax.