Chelmsford City Council

Pavement licences

You need a licence if you want to place tables and chairs on the public highway outside your café or restaurant. 

The government has introduced new, temporary guidance for pavement licences. This will help you provide food and drink whilst social distancing measures remain in place.

The new process will allow you to secure a pavement licence within 14 days and at a lesser cost.

Before you apply

Before you apply, you need to read:


The fees are:

  • £878.20 for new licence applications
  • £279.20 for licence renewals 

When you apply

To apply for a licence, you need to complete the application form and return it to us via

On the day you apply, you will also need to display a public notice in a prominent position next to the highway. You can download a  public notice template.

As part of your application, you will need to provide:

  • a scale plan, clearly showing the exact area the tables and chairs will be and the dimensions of all furniture

  • a copy of your public liability insurance

  • other supporting documents, such as details of the furniture you are buying

  • a copy of the public notice you have put up, and a picture of it in-situ

After you apply

Once we receive your application, we will:

  • acknowledge it within one working day

  • contact you via the details you have provided to take a payment of £100 (non-refundable)

  • advertise your application on our website and in our Civic Centre reception

  • allow people to make comments about or object to the application

  • send letters to neighbouring shops and properties

  • allow people to make representations or objections to the application

We will also send consultation letters and ask for comments from:   

  • Essex County Council Highways 
  • Essex Police
  • Essex Fire and Rescue Service
  • our planning and building control teams
  • our environmental team
  • our own city centre management
  • the Chelmsford City Centre Business Improvement Manager 
  • appropriate ward and parish councillors
  • any other relevant people

If we do not receive any comments or objections, we will grant the licence, subject to our standard conditions. If we do receive any comments or objections, we will consider them and may add further conditions or consider refusing the application.

Granting your application

If we grant your licence, we will monitor your café or restaurant, to make sure you are complying with the terms of the licence.

Your licence will be valid as shown on the licence, but not beyond 30 September 2021, unless the government amends the legislation.

If we do not make a decision on your application with the 14 day period, your licence will be 'deemed granted'. It will still be subject to the standard conditions. If 'deemed granted', your licence will be valid for one year, starting from the first day after the 14 day application period.

After Setember 2021

If you wish to continue your licence after 30 September 2021, you need to apply in good time for a regular tables and chairs licence. You will need to allow at least 28 days.

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page
    Last updated: 29 March 2021

    Go to: