This Committee promotes and maintains high standards of conduct by members and co-opted members of the authority, including two Independent Persons.
The Governance Committee:
- conducts hearings into an allegation that a member or co-opted member had breached the authority's code of conduct
- grants dispensations
- is responsible for training members and co-opted members on matters relating to the members' code of conduct
- oversees the council's arrangements for dealing with complaints, including complaints to the Local Government Ombudsman and the Annual Whistleblowing report
- annually reviews the council's use of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA)
- approves and monitors the Code of Corporate Governance and the council's Annual Governance Statement with the Audit Committee
- grants exemptions from politically restricted posts
There are also three Parish and Town Council co-opted (non-voting) members, two Independent Persons, Clarissa Gosling and Paula Mills, plus one substitute ( Councillor Tom Willis).