Local Plan: Preferred Options Consultation

We are reviewing our adopted Local Plan. We are consulting on the Preferred Options stage NOW! The consultation closes at 4pm on Wednesday 19 June 2024. 

Get useful information and links to other organisation who could help you.

Planning permission

You will need to get planning permission for your project. You can find out about our planning advice services, or look at the Planning Portal for information about planning. 

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

Many new developments are liable for the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL), although some self build projects are exempt.

If you are eligible for CIL relief, you need to claim it before you start work on site.

Self Build Portal

The Self Build Portal gives information and advice about:

  • finding a plot    
  • sources of finance
  • routes to self build
  • construction methods
  • sustainability
  • case studies
  • events

Home Build Fund

The government's Home Building Fund provides loans to people planning to custom build on serviced plots.

Eastern Community Homes

We have formed a partnership with Eastern Community Homes.

They provide tools and support for groups interested in affordable community-led housing. This can include Community Land Trusts, cooperatives, co-housing schemes, self-help housing, group self-build, or almshouses.

They provide advice from the initial idea or vision, right through to delivery. They help groups to access a network of technical advisors and housing associations.    


BuildStore provides information about self building, renovation and conversion products and services.

National Community Land Trust Network

The National Community Land Trust Network provides advice and support for newly-formed groups.

The Self Build Guide

The Self Build Guide provides information about land, house design, finance and resources.     

UK Cohousing

UK Cohousing provides information about cohousing, where people live privately but come together as a community to share activities like cooking, childcare and gardening.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.