Chelmsford City Council

Make a building control application

To make a building control application, you can:  

  • submit the application yourself
  • employ someone (such as a builder or architect) to help you
  • use someone registered with a competent person scheme to carry out your work

When you apply for building control approval, you need to:

  1. decide which application type you need
  2. submit the correct application form and supporting documents
  3. pay the correct building control charge
  4. understand the building control process


1. Decide which application type you need

There are three types of building control application, and you need to decide which application is best for the work you are carrying out.


Full plans

If you submit a full plans application, you will need to provide plans and documents before you start work, showing all construction details.

We will assess your plans and consult with other authorities if necessary (such as fire or sewage). We will issue you with a decision notice within six to eight weeks of receiving your application.

The decision notice will tell you if:

  • we approve your plans and you can start work
  • you need to modify your plans before you can start work
  • you need to provide more details
  • we are issuing a conditional approval
  • we reject your plans

If we approve your plans, your approval notice will be valid for three years from the date we issue the decision notice.

Building notice

If you submit a building notice, we do not need to see plans so the process is quicker than submitting full plans. A building notice helps you to start work quickly, but is most appropriate for small work.

You need to be confident that your work will comply with the building regulations if you submit a building notice.

You can start work 48 hours after you have submitted your building notice, and do not need to wait for a decision notice from us.

Your building notice will be valid for three years from the date we received it.

Regularisation (approval for work already complete)

Regularisation is work that does not have building regulations approval, that started on or after 11 November 1985.

If the work does not comply with the building regulations, you will need to carry out remedial work.

Once the work complies, we will be able to issue a certificate of regularisation.

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page

    Go to: