Once we receive your application, we will:
- validate your application. We will check that you have submitted all of the required documents and drawings, and you have paid the correct fee. If there are any problems, we will contact you.
- assign you a building control officer
- send you an Inspection Service Plan (unless you have applied for regularisation). The plan tells you when you need to make site inspection appointments during your project.
- carry out ongoing site inspections (unless you have applied for regularisation). At pre-defined stages throughout the work, we will carry out site inspections. You can check your Inspection Service Plan to find out when to book an inspection.
- carry out a completion inspection (unless you have applied for regularisation). When the work is complete, we will carry out a completion inspection.
- issue a completion certificate. If all building work complies with the building regulations, we will issue you with a completion certificate. If you plan to sell your property in the future, you will need a completion certificate.
If you have submitted a building notice, you can start work 48 hours after you submitted your application. You do not have to wait for a decision.
If you have submitted full plans, you do not need to wait for us to issue a decision notice. However, you will be starting at your own risk, so you may want to wait until we have approved the plans. This takes between six and eight weeks.
Before you start any construction, you may encounter gas supply services, electricity cables, water supply pipes, telephone and broadband cables that are not covered by the Building Regulations.
It is your responsibility to comply with the requirements set out by your utility supplier.
The Building Control Officer, when visiting the site, will not have detailed knowledge of what each of these suppliers require for different circumstances.
If you have submitted a building notice, it is valid for three years from the date we received it.
If you have submitted full plans and we have approved them, the approval notice is valid for three years after we have issued it.