Changes to Building Control regulations

In October 2023, the government introduced changes to Building Control laws. These changes place new duties of competence on all parties involved, and also affect higher-risk buildings. You can read more about the changes.

If you are applying for regularisation, you: 

  • must be the owner of the building
  • cannot apply for works carried out before 11 November 1985
  • cannot apply if it has already been part of a building regulations submission

You should submit the notice with plans of the unauthorised works if the work involves: 

  • a new building
  • an extension to the building
  • a conversion of a loft space or garage or outbuilding
  • internal structural alterations 
  • a change of use of a building


You will normally need to pay a fee as part of your submission. You can see our charges and guidance notes for full details. You do not have to pay VAT on regularisation applications.

Reasonable steps

We can ask you to take reasonable steps to determine what work, if any, you need to do to comply with the relevant regulations. These steps include:

  • laying open the unauthorised work for inspection
  • making tests
  • taking samples as we think appropriate

Planning permission

Even if you have applied for regularisation, you may also still need to seek planning permission from us. You can view our Planning advice and permissions page for more details.

How to apply

You can apply online using the online portal from Dataspace Live. You will need to register first if you do not have an account.

Apply now

Technical support for applications

If you need technical support with how to apply using Dataspace Live, you can call 01242 260505. You can also view guide-sheets and video tutorials on how to use the portal.

You should not contact Dataspace Live for advice on building control or to discuss a current application.

Further information

These notes are for general guidance only. You can find full details about depositing plans in The Building Regulations 2010 (Regulation 18) and the Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010.

If you need further information or advice, you can contact us.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.