Replacing a licensed vehicle
If you replace your taxi or private hire vehicle, for example due to accidental damage or major repairs, you need to tell us.
A replacement taxi or private hire vehicle must meet the pre-licensing criteria, and must also:
- be less than six years old
- be black in colour (taxi)
- be wheelchair accessible, if the original vehicle requires to be (taxis numbered 77 onwards)
- meet Euro 6 emission standards
To notify us about a replacement hackney carriage or private hire vehicle, you must:
- complete this replacement vehicle form
- provide the additional supporting documents
- pay the fee of £91
When replacing a vehicle, the supporting documents you will need are:
- a completed proprietorship requisition form
- a copy of the certificate of insurance, which must include cover for public hire
- a mechanical inspection certificate
- a certificate and details of a fitted taximeter
- a bill of sale (if the vehicle is on order)
- a copy of your registration document (V5)
What happens next
Once we receive your application, we will:
- acknowledge it within three days
- check that your application and supporting documents are correct
- notify you of our decision
The fee to notify us about a replacement hackney carriage or private hire vehicle is £91.
You can pay by phone or bank transfer.
We don't store your payment details when you contact us to make a payment. You will need to have your card details available each time you contact us to make a payment.
You can pay the fee by calling our Licensing team on 01245 606606.
By bank transfer
You can pay by bank transfer. Our bank details are:
- Account name: Chelmsford City Council
- Sort code: 60-05-13
- Account number: 55600018
You need to include the cost code as the reference when you pay by bank transfer.
The cost codes are:
- 2083-10462 (for a hackney carriage replacement)
- 2083-10463 (for a private hire vehicle replacement)