Apply now

You need street trading consent if you want to sell on the street.

For information about trading that requires consent and the applications we will and will not consider, you can look at our Street Trading Policy.

To apply for street trading consent, you will need:

  • your name, address and contact details
  • details of anyone else who will be trading
  • details of your business
  • a detailed location plan of where you want to trade from
  • the hours you want to trade
  • to explain how your business will impact on the area
  • your public liability insurance certificate (minimum £5 million)
  • to pay a fee of £123.50

If you sell food, you will also need:

  • a picture of the front and back of your food hygiene rating sticker
  • your latest food hygiene trading certificate

When you submit your application, we will send you an email with information about the different payment options.

Once we receive your application, we will:

  • acknowledge it within five working days
  • review your application
  • contact other authorities if necessary, such as the police or Essex Highways
  • contact you within 15 working days to tell you our decision, unless:
    • the Licensing and Regulatory Committee need to consider your application
    • we need to consult with other authorities, or the public

If we grant your application, only the people you named on your application will be able to trade.

Your street trading consent will be valid for a fixed amount of time, which will not be more than a year.

Unlicensed street trader

If you suspect an unlicensed street trader, you can report it to us.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.