If your business carries out activities that have an effect on the environment, you need to have an environmental permit.

There are three categories of environmental permits.

A1 installations

The Environment Agency control A1 installations, which are facilities that carry out industrial processes.

You can look at GOV.UK for information about A1 installations, including:

  • what A1 installations are
  • the types of permit for A1 installations
  • how to apply for a permit 

Part A(2) installations and activities

We issue the permits for Part A(2) installations and activities, and are responsible for inspections and regulation.

You will need a Part A(2) permit if your installation or activity has a range of environmental impacts. You can look at GOV.UK for a list of the activities that need a permit. It includes working with gas, metals and glass.

Part B installations and activities

We also issue the permits, inspect and regulate Part B installations and activities.

You will need Part B permit if your activities cause emissions to air. This includes, for example, vehicle re-spraying, dry-cleaning and unloading of petrol at petrol stations.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.