Take part in our survey to assess the support that businesses will need in the short, medium and longer-term, and you could win tickets to Enlightened at Hylands Estate. Complete the survey by 7 December for your chance to win.
Business Rates reminders and summonses
If you’re struggling to pay your Business Rates or are behind with your payments, you must contact us as soon as possible
We will issue you with a court summons, which includes costs, if you don’t:
- bring your account up to date
- keep to the payment plan we have agreed with you
If you pay your Business Rates and the cost of the summons in full before the hearing, we will not take any further action.
If you don’t pay in full before the hearing, we will ask the court to issue a liability order. The liability order will let us take action to recover the money you owe, which includes your unpaid Business Rates and court costs.
You don’t have to attend court if you accept that your Business Rates are due. However, if you do not believe that you are liable, the court can decide on that.
The court can’t deal with disputes over relief.
To recover the money you owe, we can:
- set up a payment arrangement with you, so that you can pay back the money you owe in instalments
- use an Enforcement Agent to recover the money you owe. The Enforcement Agent can take a payment from you, or remove goods
- start bankruptcy or winding up proceedings against you