Chelmsford City Council

Chelmsford, along with the rest of England, is now in lockdown until further notice. You can find out what this means and get other useful information on our coronavirus updates page.

How to make a complaint

Make a complaint

Our complaints procedure sets out our process for dealing with complaints.

If you have a complaint, you should contact the service involved for an informal discussion. The service is best placed to understand and resolve your complaint.

If this approach fails to resolve your complaint satisfactorily, you can make a formal complaint.

You should not use our official complaints process if your complaint is:

  • a routine request for services such as noisy neighbours, a planning breach or grass cutting, unless the request has not been dealt with properly or to our service standard
  • an issue where we can give an immediate response, such as revisiting your property to empty a missed bin
  • about an issue that already has an existing rights of appeal process, such as refusal of planning permission, or housing benefit assessment
  • an allegation of fraud, wrongdoing or malpractice. We deal with these through our whistleblowing policy        
  • about a Councillor. We have a specific procedure to deal with complaints about Councillors
  • about a third party

To make a complaint, you will need:

  • your name, address and contact details
  • the location or site where the issue happened
  • all relevant dates
  • the names of any of our staff or contractors who were involved
  • where and how our service failed to meet your expectations
  • what you would like us to do to put things right

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page
    Last updated: 08 February 2021

    Go to: