Riverside swimming pool


If you cannot use our leisure centres for a while, or need to pause your account with us, you just need to let us know.

  • You must tell us by the 17th of the previous month that you want your freeze to start, by completing our membership change request form.
  • We can freeze your account for a month, two months or three months. 
  • When your freeze period ends, your direct debit will automatically restart at the agreed monthly amount. 


If your current membership package doesn't suit you, why not consider swapping to a different plan? We have over 20 different plans to choose from.

You can request to change your plan now.


We never want to lose anyone, but we know that sometimes your situation can change. 

If you need to cancel with us and providing you have completed your minimum commitment period, you must tell us no later than the 17th of the month, to cancel at the end of that month. You can do so by completing our membership change request form.

If you are unsure of anything, our memberships team are happy to help. You can contact them via ourchelmsford@chelmsford.gov.uk.

You can find out the full terms and conditions of membership

Report a website issue

You can report issues with the website using this form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.

(Please give the URL of the page, such as https://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/council-tax/bands-and-amounts/)


Data protection declaration: We are a Data Controller for the purposes of data protection legislation. We hold and process all personal information in accordance with data protection legislation. For more information, you can read our privacy policy and privacy notices