If you have failed to pay Council Tax arrears and the court has granted a liability order, we can take deductions from your earnings or benefits.

This is a recovery option and not a payment option. 

Deductions from your earnings

We can contact your employer and ask them to make deductions directly from your pay. This is known as an ‘Attachment of Earnings Order’ (AEO). 

The amount deducted from your earnings is set by the government. You can view the deductions for a Council Tax AEO.

If we have more than one liability order for you, we can have up to two attachment of earnings orders in place at any one time. 

You can visit GOV.UK for information about an AEO.

Deductions from your benefits

We can apply to take money from the following benefits: 

  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • Guaranteed pension credit

We can only deduct a certain amount from each payment. This is set by the government and varies depending on which benefit you are receiving.

If you don’t receive a full benefit or have other deductions, we may not be able to take payment in this way.

You will still need to pay your ongoing Council Tax instalments, in addition to the deductions we make to your Council Tax arrears.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.