Due to a significant leak, we have had to switch off the taps in the Cemetery.
Water is available from the Memorial Chapel and from the Garden of Remembrance taps. Every effort is being made to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Cemetery and Crematorium records
We have a record of every burial and cremation held at Chelmsford Crematorium.
If you want to find a record, you will need to provide:
- the deceased’s full name, including any alternative spellings
- the month and year the burial may have taken place
- the deceased’s last address, if known
We will complete the search and respond to your enquiry as soon as possible.
We are happy to carry out one or two record searches for you, free of charge. However, if you are researching your family history and would like a number of searches, you will need to pay a £25 fee per search.
We maintain a number of closed cemeteries, which involves:
- cutting grass
- making safe any loose or fallen gravestones
- cleaning graffiti
- general maintenance
The closed cemeteries that we maintain are:
- Holy Trinity, Springfield
- New London Road Cemetery
- Rectory Lane Churchyard
- St John's Churchyard, Moulsham Street
- St Mary's Churchyard, Great Baddow
- St Mary's Churchyard, Widford
- The Cathedral Church of St Mary, St Peter and St Cedd
We hold some records for the burials at the New London Road Cemetery. For information on burials in other cemeteries, you need to contact the Essex Records Office.
We are responsible for maintaining:
- the Hoffmann Memorial, in Writtle Road Cemetery
- the memorial in front of the Civic Centre, in Duke Street
- the memorial in Bell Meadow, next to Bellmead
- The local parish or town council are responsible for maintaining any other war memorials in the Chelmsford area.
If you have any enquires about the war memorials that we maintain, contact us.
Chelmsford War Memorials holds details of military personnel and civilians with Chelmsford connections who lost their lives in:
- the First World War (1914 to 1918)
- the Second World War (1939 to 1945)
- operations in Afghanistan (2004 to 2014)