You can find out if your project or organisation can apply for funding, paid for by money generated by CIL.

There are two CIL funds that accept applications. One is for community infrastructure projects in the urban areas of Chelmsford. The other is reserved for larger infrastructure that supports the development of Chelmsford. 

Neighbourhood CIL in the unparished wards

In Chelmsford’s unparished areas, we administer the Neighbourhood Allocation of CIL funding. We keep 85% of this fund to spend on capital projects within the unparished areas.

We make the other 15% available for grant funding via the Community Funding Scheme. This is for supporting development of the unparished areas.

You can apply to the scheme if:

  • you are a voluntary or community organisation who works for the benefit of Chelmsford residents, and
  • your project responds to infrastructure needs created by new developments and is located within the unparished urban area of Chelmsford

Strategic CIL

We use the strategic CIL fund for infrastructure, which supports the development of Chelmsford and our Local Plan.

Our Infrastructure Priority Schedule sets out how we allocate CIL spending to support our strategic priorities over the medium term to five years. This takes into account projects we deliver, as well as our external partners (including Essex County Council and NHS England). You can view our Allocation and Spending report, which sets out the process in more detail.

How to apply

If you want to apply for money from our CIL fund, you need to submit an expression of interest.

We will only consider your application if:

  • you are an external strategic partner or another department within Chelmsford City Council
  • your project meets the definition of “infrastructure” as defined in the 2008 Planning Act

You will need to show what other sources of funding you are using to support the infrastructure project.

We will ring fence any CIL funding we collect from the Strategic Growth Site in South Woodham Ferrers for infrastructure that supports growth in the town.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.