Frederic Chancellor (Architect, archaeologist and mayor)
Bellefield House, New London Road (erected 1991)
Frederic Chancellor (1825 to 1918) was a notable local architect, archaeologist and surveyor. He began his career in 1846, working for the Chelmsford-based firm James Beadel & Sons. By 1860, he had set up his own practice, with branches in both Chelmsford and London and he was joined by his son FW Chancellor (usually known as Wykeham Chancellor) in 1896. He was a prolific designer credited with over 700 works, and most of these are in Essex.
He worked on a wide range of buildings, including churches, farm buildings, private and commercial properties and public buildings.
Notable local works include the Corn Exchange (since demolished), 212 New London Road (former home of Farleigh Hospice), Pontlands Park in Great Baddow and St John the Evangelist in Ford End.
He was also the first Mayor of Chelmsford, serving seven terms between 1888 and 1906. There is a building designed by Chancellor, located in Victoria Road South. Although originally designed as an art school and museum, it is now known as the Frederic Chancellor building.