Charles Pertwee (surveyor and architect)
Cemetery Lodge, Writtle Road
Charles Pertwee was born in Woodham Ferris (its name until the new town) in 1833. He trained to become an architect at a young age and worked with the well-known Chelmsford architect Frederick Chancellor before setting up his own firm.
In 1865, Charles became the surveyor to the Local Board of Health. He was responsible for environmental health issues, such as ensuring a proper supply of clean water and controlling the sewers and street cleaning. Charles remained as a surveyor in this capacity until 1890.
Charles was responsible for the design of Cemetery Lodge and the laying out of the cemetery, built between 1885 and 1886.
He also designed many well-known buildings within the city, including several on New London Road; the Essex and Chelmsford Infirmary (alongside Frederick Chancellor), Oaklands House, The White House and numbers 180-188, and also the Co-operative building on Wells Street and part of the former National School on Moulsham Street. He was well known for his non-conformist chapels across Essex, including Christ Church in Stock,
Charles died in 1905 and is buried in the Non-Conformist Cemetery on New London Road.