We pay all councillors a basic allowance, which is currently £6,111 per year.
Some councillors, such as Cabinet Members, committee chairs and leaders of the political groups, receive a Special Responsibility Allowance. The amount depends on the duties of the position and are set at:
- £1,203 per year for the chairs of the smaller committees
- £7,914 for the chairs of larger committees
- £11,989 for Cabinet Members
- £15,822 for the Deputy Leader
- £23,982 for the Leader of the Council
The allowances help councillors to meet the costs of representing their ward and carrying out their duties. Councillors can also claim travel and subsistence costs.
Every four years, an independent body reviews the councillor allowances. Full Council then decide whether to accept the independent body's advice.