Before you complain to us, you must try to resolve the issue with your neighbour.

You can check GOV.UK for advice about resolving disputes about high hedges.  


To complain about a high hedge, the hedge must be:

  • growing on someone else’s land
  • affecting a domestic property
  • made up of two or more plants
  • evergreen or semi-evergreen
  • more than two metres in height from ground level
  • obscuring light or views     

We will not consider your complaint if:

  • the hedge does not meet the eligibility criteria
  • you can't prove you have taken all reasonable steps to settle the dispute (we will expect to see recent evidence of you attempting this, which should cover a period of three months and that you have tried mediation)
  • the complaint is frivolous or vexatious

How to complain

To make a complaint, you need to provide:

  • your name, address and contact details
  • the contact details for the owner of the hedge
  • information about the hedge, such as its species and where it is, including photos and a location plan
  • an outline of all the steps you have taken to settle the dispute by negotiation, with copies of relevant correspondence or other papers

You will also need to pay the £650 charge.

Download a complaint form

High Hedges Complaint Form

What happens next

Once we receive your complaint, we will:

  • acknowledge it within three working days
  • invite your neighbour to set out their case
  • carry out a site visit to view the hedge and its surroundings
  • take measurements of the hedge, the garden and the distance of the hedge from your house
  • decide if the hedge adversely affects the reasonable enjoyment of your garden and what should be done about it

We will issue this decision within 12 weeks of starting our investigation.

How to appeal

You can appeal a planning decision if you disagree with it. Before you appeal, you should contact us so that we can explain why we made that decision.

The Planning Inspectorate deals with all appeals, and you need to lodge your appeal with them. You can find more information about appealing a planning decision on GOV.UK.

Is there something wrong with this page?

You can report issues with the website using our website feedback form, which will go directly to the Web Team. This team will be unable to deal with your enquiry if it is not related to the website.