Chelmsford City Council

Dropped kerbs

Apply now

You need permission from Essex County Council if you want a dropped kerb for vehicle access.

You will also need to get planning permission from us for your dropped kerb if:

  • the access is on a classified road (you can check classified roads on Essex County Council’s list)
  • your property is multi-occupied, such as a flat
  • your property is in a conservation area or is a listed building
  • the access crosses land that you don’t own (such as a grass verge)
  • the access isn't required in connection with any other work being carried out as Permitted Development (excluding structures such as fences, gates and walls)

If you do need planning permission for your dropped kerb, you need to make a planning application

If you want confirmation that you do not need planning permission, you can  request planning advice.

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page?
    Last updated: 07 September 2021

    Go to: