You need permission from Essex County Council if you want a dropped kerb for vehicle access.
In addition, you will need to get planning permission from us for your dropped kerb if:
- the access is on a classified road (you can check classified roads on Essex County Council’s list)
- your property is multi-occupied, such as a flat
- your property is in a conservation area or is a listed building
- the access crosses land that you don’t own (such as a grass verge)
- the access isn't required in connection with any other work being carried out as Permitted Development (excluding structures such as fences, gates and walls)
If you do need planning permission for your dropped kerb, you need to make a planning application.
If you want confirmation that you do not need planning permission, you can request planning advice.
If we also own the land you want to cross, you can read more about buying or accessing council land.