Chelmsford City Council

Working on a property in a conservation area

Apply for planning permission

If your property is in a conservation area, you will need planning permission for some works that would normally be covered by permitted development. 

These include:

  • cladding the exterior of the building
  • side extensions
  • two-storey rear extensions

You will also need planning permission if you want to carry out work to a tree in a conservation area.

Proposals for development in a Conservation Area must preserve or enhance the character of the area.

You also need to apply for permission if you want to demolish all or part of:

  • a building with a volume greater than 115 cubic metres
  • a boundary wall or railing that is higher than one metre if it is next to a highway
  • a boundary wall or railing that is higher than two metres

If you are planning to carry out works within a conservation area, you can request planning advice.

A conservation officer will review your proposals and provide advice about:

  • whether you need planning permission
  • the likelihood of your planning application being approved
  • any issues that you need to consider before you submit your planning application 
  • the information, forms and documents you need to submit with your planning application to ensure it is valid

You can also get advice about living in a conservation area from Historic England.

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page?
    Last updated: 13 April 2021

    Go to: