We own and maintain seven public toilets in the Chelmsford area.
You can view them on a map.
Accessible public toilets
Most of our public toilets have accessible facilities.
You can use our accessible facilities at any time if you have a Radar NKS Key.
Changing Places toilets
We provide five Changing Places toilets in the Chelmsford district, for people with disabilities who need help from their carer to use the toilet.
The Changing Places are located:
in the city centre, in Market Road
in Hylands Park, next to the Park car park
at Riverside Leisure Centre
at Chelmsford Sport and Athletics Centre
at South Woodham Ferrers Leisure Centre
To use the Changing Places toilets, you need to have an entrance key.
To apply for an entrance key, you will need:
- the name, address and contact details of the carer
- the name, address and contact details of the user
- evidence of eligibility for the higher rate Disability Living Allowance
Once we receive your application, we will:
acknowledge your application within three working days
check that you have supplied all the information we need
issue your entrance key, if you are eligible
As a carer, you are responsible for safety at all times. We will not be able to offer advice or assistance when you are using the equipment.
If you are a carer and helping someone in a Changing Places toilet, you need to:
- be trained in using hoists and changing benches
- know whether your slings are compatible with the joist, and not use the hoist if you are unsure
- use the protective paper and remove it after you have used the Changing Places toilet
- dispose of all soiled material in the sanitary waste bin
- take all soiled clothing away with you, and not use the basin or shower to wash it
The hoist has a maximum weight restriction of 31.5 stone, and the changing bench has a maximum weight restriction of 30 stone.