Register a food business
You need to register your food business with us at least 28 days before you start your business.
You don’t need to pay to register your business, and we can’t refuse your registration.
A food business includes any business that:
- sells food
- cooks food
- stores or handles food
- prepares food
- distributes food
To register your food business, you will need:
- name, address and contact details of the operator
- the name of the manager, if different
- the type of food business, including the description
- the trading name and address of the food business
- the date the business will open
- the number of employees
- the type of business (sole, partnership, ltd, mobile vehicle, other)
We will acknowledge your application within three working days.
We will investigate your food business within 28 days from when you start trading.
You can look at:
- the Food Standards Agency for information about starting a food business
- GOV.UK to find out about your responsibilities for food safety
You should complete the Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering course if you prepare, cook or handle food.
If you own or operate a food business, you need to ensure that anyone handling food has the appropriate level of training, supervision and instruction. The Food Standards Agency recommend that anyone handling or preparing food should complete the Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering course or equivalent.
Changes to your food business
You must tell us within 28 days of any significant changes in your business.
You should submit a new registration on GOV.UK if there has been a change of:
- business address or trading name
- food business operator (for example, different owner or company name)
You should notify us using this form about the following changes to your business:
- change in the type of food activity
- if you stop selling food
- if you stop trading
You can find details on how to keep records from the Food Standards Agency.
You can also download our printable guides to: