Chelmsford City Council

Make a complaint

We expect the highest standards of conduct and integrity from anyone who works for us, whether they are employees or contractors. 

We will investigate any allegations that we have not met these standards. We take all complaints seriously and are keen to resolve your problem.

  1. Make a complaint

  2. How we deal with your complaint

  3. Ask for a review

  4. Refer your complaint to the local ombudsman

  5. Vexatious and persistent complainants


1. Make a complaint

Make a complaint

Our complaints procedure does not cover:

  • routine requests for services such as noisy neighbours or grass cutting, unless the request has not been dealt with properly or to our service standard
  • issues where we can give an immediate response, such as revisiting your property to empty a missed bin
  • cases where other rights of appeal exist, such as refusal of planning permission, or housing benefit assessment
  • allegations of fraud, wrongdoing or malpractice. We deal with these through our whistleblowing policy        
  • complaints about Councillors. We have a specific procedure to deal with complaints about Councillors

If you have a complaint, you should contact the service involved for an informal discussion. The service is best placed to understand and resolve your complaint.

If this approach fails to resolve your complaint satisfactorily, you can make a formal complaint.

To make a complaint, you will need:

  • your name, address and contact details
  • the location or site where the issue happened
  • all relevant dates
  • the names of any of our staff or contractors who were involved
  • where and how our service failed to meet your expectations
  • what you would like us to do to put things right

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page

    Go to: