The count and declaration of results
We can announce that for the whole of the Eastern region:
- the total electorate was 4,407,975
- there were 1,598,455 votes cast for candidates
- there were 9,589 rejected votes
- that turnout was 36.48%
The seven MEPs for this region are:
- Richard Tice, Brexit Party
- Michael Heaver, Brexit Party
- June Mummery, Brexit Party
- Barbara Gibson, Liberal Democrat
- Lucy Nethsingha, Liberal Democrat
- Catherine Rowett, Green
- Geoffrey Van Orden, Conservative
- Change UK The Independent Group: 58,274 votes (3.65%)
- Conservative and Unionist Party: 163,830 votes (10.25%)
- English Democrats: 10,217 votes (0.64%)
- Green Party: 202,460 votes (12.67%)
- Labour Party: 139,490 votes (8.73%)
- Liberal Democrats: 361,563 votes (22.62%)
- The Brexit Party: 604,715 votes (37.83%)
- UK Independence Party (UKIP): 54,676 votes (3.42%)
- Independent (Attila Csordas): 3,230 votes (0.20%)
You can also download a spreadsheet of the results.
EU elections in the UK are run using the ‘party list’ system, rather than the ‘first past the post’ system.
The party list system is a type of proportional representation. This is where seats are shared out proportionately, according to the share of the vote. For example, if a region had 10 seats available and one party received 50% of the vote, they would win five seats.
When casting your vote, you choose a party, rather than an individual candidate. Each party has a list of candidates, presented in preferential order. If a party secures enough votes to win a seat, the first candidate on their list takes that seat. If the party wins enough votes for two seats, Candidates 1 and 2 from their list are elected, and so on.
In this region, there are seven seats available.