We have decided to review the set-up of the most local form of government in this area. This is called a Community Governance Review (CGR). It is good practice to carry one out every 10 to 15 years.
The district currently has 25 parish councils, one town council and one parish meeting. There is also an area in the central part of the city that currently has no parish.
The review considers whether community governance arrangements across the district are suitable. It takes account of areas of new or proposed housing developments, to ensure these remain fit for purpose for the future.
The review also considers:
- whether to parish unparished areas, including whether to create new parish council(s) or make changes to existing parish arrangements
- any other community governance related proposals that may arise during the review
You can view a map of the area the CGR covers.
We are keen to encourage all interested parties to engage in this important project and have already carried out consultation. This received over 1,000 responses from the public, local organisations, parish councils and other interested parties.
You can view the responses we received.
We have prepared draft recommendations, which we now need to consult on further. We have recommended significant changes in some areas, but in other, there are no changes or only minor ones.
You can view and comment on the proposed changes, which we have broken down by area.
You can also view a map of the proposed changes.
The consultation closes on Tuesday 30 November 2021.
- 9 December 2020: Full Council approved Terms of Reference for the Community Governance Review
- Mid-January to end-March 2021: Formal initial Community Governance Review consultation
- June to July 2021: Connectivity and Local Democracy Working Group considered responses and preparation of draft recommendations
- 21 July 2021: Full Council approved an updated timetable and modified Terms of Reference for the Community Governance Review (you can view the papers from Full Council on 21 July 2021)
- 8 September 2021: Governance Committee considered draft recommendations and recommended them to Full Council for approval (with slight amendment)
- 22 September 2021: Full Council approve draft recommendations
- September to November 2021: Further public consultation on draft recommendations
- Winter 2021/22: Connectivity and Local Democracy Working Group and Governance Committee draft final recommendations
- 23 February 2022: Full Council consider final recommendations
- By Spring 2022: Approval of community governance orders and consequential matters in place ready for local and parish elections in 2023 (we will allow further time if we need to consult/make recommendations to the Local Government Boundary Commission for England)
- May 2023: Parish council elections held under any new arrangements