In Chelmsford, we have three tiers of local government:
- Tier 1: parish councils
- Tier 2: Chelmsford City Council (CCC)
- Tier 3: Essex County Council (ECC)
Each tier looks after different public services and represents the concerns of residents.
Over the next year, we plan to carry out a Community Governance Review. This involves looking at how the governance arrangements for Tier 1 are working, to see if they need to be changed.
Chelmsford currently has 25 parish councils as well as one parish meeting (Mashbury, an area with only around 80 electors) and one town council (South Woodham Ferrers, a large area with about 12,000 electors).
Around 62% of the Chelmsford population have a town or parish council, as well as the district and county councils. That leaves 38% of residents, who mainly live in the city centre, without a local voice.
If you don't have a Tier 1 council, we want to know if you think your local community would benefit from having one, or an alternative form of representation.
If you do have a parish council, we want to know if you think the community governance arrangements could be improved. This could be through changing the number of councillors or changing boundaries.
We are asking everyone who lives, works or serves people in Chelmsford for their views. We want to make sure that our parish councils are effectively representing the views, interests and concerns of the local communities they serve.
The results of the consultation will help decide how your neighbourhood is represented in the future.
If you have any comments or queries, you can contact the Electoral Services Team.