We adopted the Chelmsford Local Plan 2013-2036 on 27 May 2020.
Councillors approved it at an Extraordinary Meeting of the Council on 27 May 2020 during a virtual meeting.
They also agreed to allow any minor layout changes or corrections before we publish the Local Plan in its final format. While we do that, you can view the Local Plan on the agenda page at Appendix 6, and the Policies Map at Appendix 4.
We have also published other documents as part of the Local Plan adoption:
Viewing documents in person
We will make paper copies of these documents available at our Customer Service Centre as soon as possible. We will update this page when we have done this.
We will also send a copy to the following libraries:
- Great Baddow
- North Melbourne
- South Woodham Ferrers
- Hatfield Peverel
- Mobile Library for Chelmsford area
We suggest you check with the library before making a special journey.
The Local Plan is our long-term strategy to ensure Chelmsford can meet local needs for:
- new homes
- open space
- supporting infrastructure
We developed the Local Plan following significant consultation with local communities and other stakeholders.
Development proposals should take account of both the Local Plan and the following documents, which are all part of the Development Plan for our administrative area:
The Local Plan replaces all the policies and Proposals (Policies) Maps in the following documents:
- Core Strategy Development Plan and Development Control Policies Development Plan Document (DPD), February 2008
- Chelmsford Town Centre Area Action Plan DPD, August 2008
- North Chelmsford Area Action Plan DPD, July 2011
- Site Allocations DPD, February 2012
- Core Strategy Development Plan and Development Control Policies Focused Review DPD, December 2013
We are formally revoking the following Supplementary Planning Documents (SPD), prepared to support the above DPDs, as required under Regulation 15 of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012:
- Making Places SPD, June 2008
- Building for Tomorrow SPD, June 2013
- Planning Obligations SPD, June 2014
In addition, we are also revoking the following informal Planning Guidance Documents:
- Affordable Housing Implementation Guide, March 2015
- Interim Residential Parking Guidance, March 2015
- Interim Recycling and Waste Guidance, September 2013
Each of our newsletters gives an overview of the different stages of developing the new Local Plan.
You can download our: