Chelmsford City Council

Request housing and planning policy advice

If you want to build or propose a new housing development or major strategic development, we can offer advice on housing policy and planning policy.

In addition to regular planning advice, our policy officers can review your proposal and give advice on:

  • policy context 
  • housing implementation
  • affordable housing

Our advice will depend on the nature of your proposals and we will give it without prejudice. You will need to tell us in detail about what you want to do, so that we can give you the correct advice.

This advice is separate from the existing masterplan process, which we secure through Planning Performance Agreements (PPAs). 

You can request housing policy or planning policy advice when you apply for planning advice. After you have chosen the relevant form for your project, you need to select the 'Advice from Planning Policy' and/or 'Advice from Housing Implementation' option.

Plans and documents

You can upload plans and documents with your request, so the relevant officer can assess your proposal.

The more information you can provide, the more useful you will find the advice we can give. You need to include an accurate site plan.  

The type of information you need to supply includes:

  • the area of the existing site
  • the current use of the existing site
  • number and description of the different types of residential units
  • floor area of any existing non-residential buildings
  • floor area of any proposed non-residential buildings 

For any applications for a Deed of Variation to S106 agreements, you will need to contact the Policy Team directly.

Other advice for developers

If you want us to consider a new site in our Local Plan, you need to submit it through the Strategic Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment (SHELAA) call for sites process. This process is open all year round. 

You can also request further advice about your site with our Spatial Planning Team, for a fee.

Mandatory field

Is there something wrong with this page?
Last updated: 07 October 2021

Go to: